The top 10 worse excuses for late filing of tax returns
The top ten worse excuses for late filing of tax returns, courtesy of the good people at HMRC –
- Topping the list, is “my pet dog ate my tax return…and all the reminders.”
- Second, the very odd “I was up a mountain in Wales, and couldn’t find a postbox or get an internet signal.”
- The poor taxpayer at number three “fell in with the wrong crowd.”
- A Jason Bourne sound-alike can’t escape HMRC… “I’ve been travelling the world, trying to escape from a foreign intelligence agency.
- Four has a very famous accountant indeed: “Barack Obama is in charge of my finances.”
- Five is busy building a menagerie: “I’ve been busy looking after a flock of escaped parrots and some fox cubs.”
- Six is the type to let their friends copy their homework: “A work colleague borrowed my tax return, to photocopy it, and didn’t give it back.”
- “I live in a camper van in a supermarket car park,” hasn’t ever heard of wi-fi or postboxes
- Nine has more pressing matters: “My girlfriend’s pregnant.”
- And the final excuse was living it up: “I was in Australia.”
Happy new year and only 24 days left to get that return in….
Peters Associates Ltd can also be found on www.accountant-info.co.uk.